Wilmington man faces charges for threatening to burn Boston mosque
By Kelly Thomas | July 28, 2016, 14:20 EDT
BOSTON – A Wilmington man faces charges after making online threats to burn Boston’s largest mosque last November.
Patrick Keogan posted threats on the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center’s (ISBCC) Facebook page last November, several days after the ISIS attacks in Paris, the Boston Globe reported. Prosecutors from the office of U.S. Attorney Carmen M. Ortiz said Keogan’s post included an image depicting a mosque in flames with writing that said “Burn your local mosque,” along with the statement ‘Hello scumbags,’ next to a smiley face emoji.
Keogan’s November threats were not the first anti-Muslim posts he’s written. The 44-year-old Wilmington resident, who has been questioned by the FBI twice in the past, allegedly praised the burning of a Missouri Islamic center in 2013.
Keogan, a convicted felon who has previously served time for assault and battery, also faces weapons charges for illegal possession of ammunition. He is currently being held without bail.