Around New England

Massachusetts Construction Worker Dies of Excessive Black Licorice Consumption

September 25, 2020

A Massachusetts man died from eating too much black licorice on Wednesday of this week.

The 54-year-old construction worker reportedly ate “a bag and a half every day for a few weeks” causing his heart to stop, according to the Associated Press.

Black licorice contains glycyrrhizin acid, which can cause low potassium and electrolyte imbalances. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration states that eating 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks is enough to cause heart rhythm problems, particularly for those older than 40.

“Even a small amount of licorice you eat can increase your blood pressure a little bit,” said Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, told the Associated Press.

Comments

comments


Read More