Baker rebuffs pressure from USOC
By State House News Service | July 24, 2015, 15:39 EDT
Written by Andy Metzger
Steadfast in a lack of a verdict on the Boston Olympics proposal, Gov. Charlie Baker on Friday said he would communicate his lack of a firm opinion to the U.S. Olympics Committee at a meeting Monday even as an Associated Press story claimed the national committee had given him an ultimatum to decide by Friday.
“There are two very aggressive points of view,” said Baker, who said he had seen Thursday evening’s televised debate between proponents and opponents. Baker said he is waiting for The Brattle Group to complete its analysis before offering a yea or nay and described Monday’s meeting as a “check-in.”
The U.S. Olympic Committee, which previously denied reports that there was discussion of changing the country’s bid city to Los Angeles, did not respond to requests for clarification.
Baker’s communications director Tim Buckley told reporters Baker’s office is not aware of a decision deadline on Friday while he declined to discuss details of a conversation Baker had with the USOC last Friday.
“This is a 10-year decision,” Baker told reporters.
@COPYRIGHT STATEHOUSE NEWS SERVICE